February 27, 2012

Leaving Torres




The bus back to Puerto Natales from the park was silent, save for the occasional whisper of wind through a neighbors' nostrils. Seats filled with twenty people and a pile of large packs, everybody slept, probably dreaming of achingly hot showers and juicy steaks. I was thinking about donuts again. Assuming the "I feel comfortable and accomplished" position, I slouched with my feet in the aisle and one hand in my waistband. I awoke an hour later wondering why I would dream of eating tuna after eating so much of it, until it occurred to me that there was tuna juice on my pants from lunch an hour before and that the entire bus smelled of it. There were about 14 pine tree shaped air freshener tags hanging next to the bus driver's seat. I can only imagine how thrilled he was to smell tuna for three hours, in addition to the aromatic assault of twenty hikers in a short bus whose windows don't open.



I was thinking about donuts on the entire hike. Dreaming of them. Every day, day and night. This is one of the first things I hope to eat upon my return to the US. Thanks for the picture Eliza. It made me want to die... Of longing... Not to be melodramatic or anything!

Guess what we ate when we returned to town? Youre thinking steak, arent you?! Wrong. Amazing oversized hot dogs called Completos are the national food of Chile. Slathered in 1/4 cup of avocado, fresh diced tomatoes, a tablespoon of hot onion-based salsa, and a streak of mustard, and encased in freshly baked crusty buns, these hot dogs transcended what I perceived as the properly prepared dog. Everybody eats them like this, though the locals prefer mayonnaise on theirs (I drew the line here). Though given the choice between a chili dog and a Chile dog, I would certainly choose the former of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment