January 9, 2012

Another Time-Out for the Team




One of the unfortunate aspects of traveling in third world countries is the inevitability of contracting traveller's diarrhea. One has to seek fiber in this meat, noodles, and potatoes world eventually, but this usually involves eating vegetables--which happen to be washed in local non-potable water. Alas, Will was the first victim of a day in bed with mint tea, soda crackers, and the book, The River Why. Shortly thereafter, he contracted the cold which I had finally purged from my own body. Now that he has returned to health (mostly), it's my turn for soda crackers! Luckily we are staying in a hostel with comfortable beds and pillows for this round of reading and sleeping around the clock. Earlier this afternoon, I received a wake-up call. Crawling out of bed, I stood up too quickly and was dizzied by the rush of blood draining from my head. I walked over to the wall to press my forehead against the cold tiles to help regain my senses before finishing the 15 foot trek to the bathroom. Instead i found that my legs had buckled and I was convulsing on the floor.


Conveniently, Will's backpack and sleeping pad were sprawled across the hard tiles, so my landing was gentle. Terrified at the inexplicable downturn of events and at the fact that this happened to be the one moment Will had left my side throughout the entire day for a bite to eat, I struggled to grasp what had just happened--that is, until I smelled burning hair. Apparently I missed the wall and pressed my forehead against the light switch, giving myself a healthy dose of voltage. Moments later, Will returned from lunch and scooped me gently from the floor, showering me with the comfort I so desired. Thank you, Will!

4 comments:

  1. Jesus! I've recently re-contracted that cold/flu too, but I'm very thankful to be in a country that actually has far better medical care than the US... You guys be careful, and watch out for those unshielded electrical sockets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, your comment system has the easiest Captchas I've ever seen, which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel better you two! If you don't, Rebecca and I may just have to grab our backpacks and crocs (not our chacos) and come rescue you. Are you going to go to Cuzco and check out the mummified Inca kings? Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried so hard to leave my chacos, but I remain faithful (mostly) to them. The night before we left Pownal, I stowed them away in a drawer, but when I got up at 430 am to fly out, my first thought was, "I cant believe I am about to leave behind my chacos!" I brought the crocs too.

    ReplyDelete